Empa – Reliability Center
The Reliability Center operates a knowledge and equipment pool to perform research, tests and inspections for industry, academic institutions and public authorities.
It is an ISO/IEC 17025 accreditated testing laboratory (STS 0059) for physical qualification, reliability investigations, nondestructive testing and analysis of materials, components and systems.
- Reliability: Reliability and failure analysis; preparation of development guidelines; performance of qualification tests
- Knowledge transfer: Lecturing at the ETH on reliability of equipment and systems, and on physics of failure and failure analysis of electronic circuits; organisation of conferences and courses
- Research: Leading and collaborating in national and international research projects
Battery Research Lab
- Research on battery degradation as a function of calendar life, temperature, SOC, amplitude of cycling, stress cycling profiles
- Optimization of charging strategies
- Optimization of battery lifetime under harsh environmental conditions
- Testing and non-destructive electrical characterzation, testing, measurement and
- simulation of thermal and mechanical behaviour to optimize lifetime
- Battery safety testing according to UN, UL, ECE, IEC, ISO standards
- Development of safe batteries and battery management systems
- Post degradation and post mortem analysis of battery materials