CSEM is a Swiss research and technology organization (RTO) with +35 years of technology development and transfer to industry. This activity has accelerated innovation, particularly in the strategic fields of digitalization, precision manufacturing, and sustainable energy.
For battery systems, the knowhow and expertise ranges from technology characterization, over system design and optimization to prototyping and product development. Application domains focus on stationary storage solutions and include all domains related to grid integration of storage systems, also including vehicle-to-grid applications, as well as technologies that enable or facilitate second-life usage.
The CSEM battery team offers services in the following areas:
- Battery performance characterization, including aging tests
- Li-ion cell modelling (e.g. ECM, SPM, empirical models)
- Sensing and associated algorithm development
- Design and development of Battery Management Systems (BMS)
- Design and development of Energy Management Systems (EMS)
- Techno-economic investment appraisals of battery-powered applications
For the performance characterization the laboratory infrastructure of the Energy Storage Research Center ESReC located in Biel and Neuchâtel is used (see also www.esrec.swiss) whereas for the other activities different laboratories and data processing infrastructures are available in Neuchâtel.